Sunday, December 7, 2014

Theology of Money

I've been putting up a few quotes from Philip Goodchild's The Theology of Money. A review will follow shortly. Maybe a ramble too, I'm not sure.

For now I just wanted to share this with you. It's a little naughty. I've scanned ten pages. So don't tell Philip or his publishers, ok? We'll see how long we can get away with it. I've had a look through the bibliographies of many of my money books published since Philip's and haven't found it mentioned in any. I guess these days theology is not too highly regarded in the halls of academia. (I've only found one other theology of money Nimi Wariboko God and Money - A Theology of Money in a Globalizing World (2008))

I've got this 2009 version of the book but there also seems to be a 2007 version. (I paid no where near what amazon were asking so do have a look around). I only stumbled across the book earlier this year. I do occasional general searches for money books to make sure I haven't missed anything, and it came up on one of those. If you want to check it out before you buy - this site has chapter summaries, notes, discussion and a letter from the author.

What I really wanted from Philip's book was an exploration of the Theory of Value from a theological perspective and an examination of how such a perspective influences our conception of money. There are clear parallels between this theological perspective, and the idea which underscores my own exploration of from the point of view of 'value monism'.

I was worried that Philip was going to leave me hanging, as the book is more money than theology. But nearing the end he has come up with the goods. It seems an appropriately Christian - saved by Jesus at the end of days - way for the book to proceed. So fair enough. So the brief section I've scanned deals with Metaphysics, Theology, Credit, Money, Value - and favorites like Parmenides and even immantizing the Eschaton ! I really recommend it for a perspective that doesn't really get to see the light of day too much in most academic work on money.